Mechanical Design Engineer in Tucson, Arizona
FreeFall Aerospace is developing innovative antenna technology for spacecraft and ground stations. We are seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to support the development, analysis, and qualification of our antenna systems. The successful candidate will have a broad-based mechanical engineering background and recent experience in the aerospace industry, with demonstrated expertise in the design and prototype-level fabrication of complex mechanical systems. A working knowledge of satellite communication principles, Cubesat/smallsat hardware, and antenna system integration and test is highly desirable. Candidates must be “hands-on” and comfortable working with hardware and test equipment in a Design/Build/Test paradigm.
Minimum Requirements for Mechanical Design Engineer
- BS/MS/PhD in mechanical or aerospace engineering or a related technical field with at least 5 years of directly relevant experience
- Experience and creativity designing mechanical systems with SolidWorks or other CAD software
- Background in structures, materials, finite element, and thermal analysis, and environmental testing
- Demonstrated ability to flow top-level requirements through to system design, apply rigorous system engineering principles, and properly document all design decisions
- Experience with basic machine tools and ability to guide work at contractors/machine shops
- Work directly with the FreeFall Chief Engineer to create, analyze, and implement antenna systems and related support structures and components
- Build and test mechanical prototypes with minimal supervision
- Plan and oversee environmental qualification and performance testing and properly document results
About FreeFall Aerospace
FreeFall Aerospace is developing revolutionary new antenna technology for ground, air, and space. Our innovative spherical antennas are drawing interest from a variety of commercial and government organizations, offering a wide field of view, efficient beam steering, and low mass and power to dramatically simplify and improve satellite communications. FreeFall was founded in Tucson as a spin-off from the University of Arizona and maintains a close connection with UA faculty and supporters.
FreeFall Aerospace was formed in 2016 and was named the 2019 Startup Innovator of the Year Award by the Arizona Commerce Authority. In early 2021 the company expanded its headquarters in the heart of mid-town Tucson featuring an open floor plan with large windows, standing desks, lab space, and flexible work hours. This collaborative culture emphasizes creativity, teamwork, inclusion, and innovation.
- Competitive salary with full benefits
- Generous company equity participation plan
- Opportunities for travel, conference participation, and regular interaction with industry experts
Email resumé and cover letter to JBonner@FreeFallAerospace.com
FreeFall Aerospace is located at 3525 E Fort Lowell Rd Tucson, AZ 85716.
Follow FreeFall Aerospace on LinkedIn for updates.