Systems Engineer/Project Manager
FreeFall Aerospace is developing innovative antenna technology for spacecraft, ground stations, and 5G internet applications. We are seeking an experienced systems engineer to participate in a wide variety of antenna design, development, and test activities, and serve as project manager for specific funded tasks. The successful candidate will have broad-based engineering skills including background in electrical, mechanical, and aerospace engineering, and will demonstrate an ability to understand customer needs and derive clear technical requirements that flow down to subsystem and component design, build, and test. Responsibilities will include concept design and verification, oversight of prototype development and test, project management, team leadership, and customer reporting and interaction. The candidate must have demonstrated strong analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to guide small teams and coordinate activities across multiple project areas. He/she must be hands-on and comfortable working with hardware and electronics in a Design/Build/Test paradigm. Experience with spaceflight hardware and telecommunications is desired.
Summary of roles and essential job functions
- Serve as the lead systems engineer on a variety of FreeFall antenna project including spacecraft, aerial, and ground antenna systems
- Participate in all development activities and help position the company as an industry leader in all of its business areas
- Collaborate on the creation and analysis of new antenna products for a variety of applications including space and ground satcom, point-to-point microwave, and 5G internet
- Be familiar with industry, DOD, and civilian government communications priorities and plans, and assist in identification of new business opportunities in all sectors
- Develop communications subsystem solutions that meet all specified requirements. Conduct trade studies on satellite communications service provider solutions; vehicle communications hardware including antennas, modems and other related components; ground station equipment, etc.
- Conduct or lead system performance studies including link budgets, parametric analysis, environmental sensitivity, and other factors affecting space and ground performance
- Prepare or collaborate on technical reports, white papers, marketing products, presentations, trade shows, etc. to depict results of the antenna development and test activities and to advance business opportunities
- Stay abreast of new opportunities and maintain expert knowledge of the competitive landscape to ensure that FreeFall is always at the forefront of antenna system design and implementation
- BS+10, MS+5, or equivalent
- Experience as development engineer in a communications, defense, or aerospace company
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing projects, and excellent communication skills
About FreeFall Aerospace
FreeFall is a revolutionary new antenna technology company developing applications for ground, air, and space. The innovative spherical antennas simplify and improve satellite communications by offering a 360-degree field of view and electronic steering at low mass and low cost. The technology is drawing interest from a wide variety of commercial and government organizations. The company’s unique antennas for the coming 5G wireless world are unlike anything else on the market and enable high-frequency, steerable communications for Smart Cities, connected vehicles, and the Internet of Things. FreeFall was founded in Tucson as a spin-off from the University of Arizona and maintains a close connection with its faculty and supporters. www.
Email email@example.com with resumé and cover letter.